What is an IT staffing agency?
IT staffing agencies - aka technical recruiters, IT recruiters and IT headhunters - are focused on filling specialized job openings in information technology or engineering. Their goal is to match up the brightest talents with high-demand technical skills with the Dallas companies that need their IT abilities.
What jobs can an IT staffing agency find for you?
Software, data, networks, and communications are the most common jobs technical recruiters fill. The jobs typically require a bachelor degree in computer science, information systems or engineering
CIO magazines list the following as topmost in-demand tech jobs for 2018:
- Business intelligence analysts - Skills in database technology, analytics, and reporting tools.
- Data scientists - Skills in programming languages (i.e. Python, Java, C++, RUBY, SQL) along with strong analytical skills.
- Database developers - Skills in enterprise database programs such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle or IBM DB2 and certifications such as Microsoft Certified Database Administrator or Oracle Database Administrator Certified Professional.
- Helpdesk or support desk technicians - Skills required vary but a key skill needed is customer service and technical troubleshooting.
- Network administrators - Skills in LAN/WAN protocols, software, and hardware. They need troubleshooting and communication skills along with keen analytic and diagnostic ability.
- Data security administrators - Skills in defining network security requirements, making sure security measures are current, monitoring security practices and putting into effect security strategies.
- System administrator - Skills in problem-solving, communication and troubleshooting. Certifications such as the Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Sun Certified System Administrator (SCSA).
What types of positions do technical recruiters offer?
Contract staff become employees of the IT staffing agency but work at the company that needs the IT staffing support. The staffing agency provides benefits, paychecks, etc. Job positions are usually for a predefined length of time or duration of a project.
The advantage of this arrangement is you get exposed to a variety of companies, positions, and opportunities. This exposure can lead to eventual full-time employment with the company.
Contract staffing also allows you to build relationships with the local IT community within your skill niche that can lead to new opportunities and career growth.
Permanent placement is industry jargon for full-time long-term employment. The goal of the IT recruiter is to get you permanent employment at a company in the Dallas area.
The IT staffing agency finds the job openings for you by matching your skills and career goals with there database of job openings.
The IT headhunter arranges the job interview and they help you prepare for the interview. As the interviewing process progresses, the agency follows-up with the employers and advocates for you on your behalf.
Contractors and Consultants
Many Dallas companies need special IT skills to augment there existing staff. Often these positions are not permanent.
The companies hire the IT staffing agency to provide contractors and consultants that are subject matter experts in specific IT specialties, functional solutions, and/or industries.
The IT staffing agency aggressively screens each person to make sure they have the specialty skills needed by the company. Contractors and consultants can be self-employed, an employee of the IT staffing agency, or an employee of the hiring firm.
How do IT staffing agencies make their money?
Finding quality IT employees in a major market like Dallas takes time and money. The American Staffing Association estimates that advertising and interviewing for open technical positions can cost 7 to 20 percent of that employee’s salary and take 30 to 45 days to fill.
The time and money to hire can be a big burden to some Dallas area companies, so to conserve resources they farm out hiring to an IT staffing agencies.
The IT staffing agency makes its money by charging the hiring company fees for each hire. The fees paid to the IT staffing firm can be fixed or based on a percentage of the salary of the employee.
Tips for working with IT staffing agencies
So how do you find the best IT staffing agency for you?
The best way to make sure you end up the best available IT job for you is is by looking for these characteristics in an IT staffing agency:
- Respected by the major IT-oriented companies in the Dallas area
- Have many direct sources of job openings from referrals and regular customers
- In-depth understanding of the skills and traits of the employer’s ideal employee
- Recruiters have experience in IT themselves
- Offer candidates coaching for resumes writing and interviewing
- Arrange all interviews, field follow-up questions and serve as the liaison between the employer and candidates
- Perform background investigations, drug testing, reference checks and aptitude testing
- Coordinate all communication regarding offers, second interviews, employment paperwork or other logistics related to a candidate’s hiring.
Now you know what IT staffing agency do, what types of employment they provide, how they get paid and you have great advice on what to look for in a technical recruiting agency.
Now you’re ready to start working with a technical recruiter without worrying about going down a path you might regret.
Are you ready to work with a proven Dallas IT staffing agency?
GTN is known around the world but they have specific knowledge of the Dallas IT employment environment. The technical recruiters and staff at GTN pride themselves on recruiting top technologists for world-renowned companies in Dallas and nationwide.